Ways You Can
The current state of the world can be overwhelming.
Even when we pray we struggle to even know where to start.
Here are some helpful prayer points to help guide you
as we join together in prayer.
1. Pray for the Lord to intervene and stop the spread of the coronavirus. Pray in Jesus’ name that the virus would recede from this day forward and that the numbers of those infected would decline rapidly. Pray, trusting the Lord to intervene today with His loving care.
“Now this is the confidence we have before Him: whenever we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears whatever we ask, we know that we have what we have asked Him for.” 1 John 5:14-15
2. Pray for those who are sick that they will have access to the care and treatment they need. Pray for peace and perseverance amidst suffering. Pray for those in isolation who are cut off from their normal routines and support systems that they would seek their strength in Jesus. Pray encouragement for the thousands in quarantine waiting to find out if they have the virus.
“God is our refuge and strength, a helper who is always found in times of trouble.” Psalm 46:1
3. Pray for health workers who are caring for those with COVID-19. Pray for their protection from the virus, for stamina during long and intense work hours, and for safe protocols to be observed in healthcare institutions in order to keep them protected. Pray for health workers to seek the Lord during this crisis.
“Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble, and He brought them out of their distress.” Psalm 107:28
4. Pray for grieving families who have lost loved ones to the coronavirus. Even as their hearts are breaking, pray they would know the nearness and comfort of the Holy Spirit. Pray they would feel compassion from the Lord and from friends and neighbors coming around them. Pray against despair; pray for new mercies every morning.
“Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
5. Pray for pastors serving their churches and communities affected and infected by COVID-19. We pray the Holy Spirit would give these shepherd-leaders the right words for the right time and the right actions for each situation. Pray they would speak the gospel in heart, word, and deed to each person they minister to.
“Is anyone sick? He should call for the elders of the church, and they should pray over him after anointing him with olive oil in the name of the Lord…. The intense prayer of the righteous is very powerful.” James 5:14, 16
6. Pray for the body of Christ worldwide that the church would rise up to pray and to support the sick and their caregivers in practical and sacrificial ways. Pray for the Church to be a light on a hill in hospitals, communities, and cities where God has placed them. Pray for an outpouring of love, compassion, and service in Jesus’ name.
“God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the less honorable, so that there would be no division in the body, but that the members would have the same concern for each other. So, if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it: if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it. Now you are the body of Christ, and individual members of it.” 1 Corinthians 12:24-27
7. Pray for government officials and decision-makers who are leading countries and organizations through the crisis. We acknowledge that the Lord has allowed each one to be in a place of influence during this time. Pray they would mobilize resources quickly and effectively to where they are most needed. Pray for all those working behind the scenes and for the good administration and execution of response efforts worldwide.
“I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all those who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness, and dignity.” 1 Timothy 2:1-2
8. Pray for those waking up each day to the fallout caused by COVID-19 that they would reach out to the Lord. Pray for people to earnestly seek the Lord. We know the desire to seek the Lord comes from the Lord, and we know He will meet them. Pray for those whose businesses and livelihoods are ruined by the halt of the economy in many sectors. Pray for those who may lose jobs and salaries. For each one, we pray new beginnings with the Lord walking by their side.
“’For I know the plans I have for you’ – this is the LORD’s declaration – ‘plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. You will call to Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.’” Jeremiah 29:11-12
9. Pray for all those without the knowledge of Jesus to hear about Him through this crisis and respond to His love. We pray salvation for every man, woman, and child in the world today. Through eyes of faith, we see them becoming our brothers and sisters in Christ. Ask in Jesus’ name for the gift of salvation for those ready to receive it by faith.
“The Lord does not delay His promise, as some understand delay, but is patient with you, not wanting any to perish, but all to come to repentance.” 2 Peter 3:9